Wedding Anniversary Quotes To Make Any Heart Melt
Updated December 19, 2020
Medically Reviewed By: Audrey Kelly, LMFT
For most people, wedding anniversaries are significant milestones that are celebrated with much decorum. As a result, you might be wondering what you can say for the occasion that’s a little bit more creative than, “happy anniversary.” Whether you’re saying “happy anniversary” to a friend, your mom and dad, or to your own spouse, there is an abundance of loving, memorable options for happy anniversary messages. For your anniversary card, or to use during a speech, here are some of the best wedding anniversary quotes and wishes to use in your anniversary messages.
25th Wedding Anniversary Quotes
The 25th wedding anniversary, also called the Jubilee or Silver wedding anniversary, is an important milestone for most couples. Not many marriages last beyond the first ten years, so a quarter of a century together is something to truly celebrate! Here is a selection of suitable quotes for congratulations on the day.
- In theory, marriages are made in heaven, but for all intents and purposes, a twenty-five-year long marriage is made by the tireless efforts of a uniquely strong couple
- Congratulations for discovering the most sought-after secret - the secret to a happy marriage.
- Falling in love takes but a moment, but it takes a lifetime to proof that love is forever.
- May the next 25 years be as successful and filled with love as the first 25 years were.
- Your marriage is like a bespoke vintage wine - it gets better with age.
- Love and romance in novels don't tell of the hard work a long, good marriage takes. Thank you for all the work you put into ours.
- Grow old with me! The best is yet to be.
? Robert Browning
- I love you, and I will love you until I die, and if there is life after that, I'll love you then. ? Cassandra Clare, City of Glass
- I no longer believed in the idea of soul mates, or love at first sight. But I was beginning to believe that a very few times in your life, if you were lucky, you might meet someone who was exactly right for you. Not because he was perfect, or because you were, but because your combined flaws were arranged in a way that allowed two separate beings to hinge together.
? Lisa Kleypas, Blue-Eyed Devil
- A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you. Thank you for still being my best friend like that.
? Elbert Hubbard (Adapted)
- The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you've given me. That's what I hope to give you for the next 25 years, and longer.
? Nicholas Sparks (Adapted)
- They didn't agree on much. In fact, they didn't agree on anything. They fought all the time and challenged each other every day. But despite their differences, they had one important thing in common. They were crazy about each other.
? Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- When love is not madness it is not love.
? Pedro Calderón de la Barca
- The idea, you know, is that the sentimental person thinks things will last while the romantic person has a desperate confidence that they won't. Thank you for turning me from a romantic to a sentimental person.
? F. Scott Fitzgerald, This Side of Paradise (Adapted)
- I wonder how many people don't get the one they want but end up with the one they're supposed to be with.
? Fannie Flagg, Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe
50th Wedding Anniversary Quotes
Also called Golden, the 50th wedding anniversary is as important, if not more than the very first one. Here are some touching happy anniversary quotes for celebrating the special day.
- It isn't possible to love and part. You will wish that it was. You can transmute love, ignore it, muddle it, but you can never pull it out of you. I know by experience that the poets are right: love is eternal.
? E.M. Forster, A Room with a View
- Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze. Thank you for keeping our romance alive.
? Elinor Glyn (Adapted)
- You claim a special place in my heart, one I'll carry with me forever and that no one can ever replace.
? Nicholas Sparks, Dear John (Adapted)
- The heart is an arrow. It demands aim to land true. Your aim was impeccable 50 years ago.
? Leigh Bardugo, Six of Crows (Adapted)
- It's nonsense to think of friendship and romance as being different. They're not. They're just variations of the same love. Variations of the same desire to be close.
? Rachel Cohn, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List (Adapted)
- Yes, I decided, one can truly change. Time has taught me much about myself, and a few universal truths. I learned, for instance, that while wounds can be inflicted easily upon those we love, it's often much more difficult to heal them. Yet the process of healing those wounds provided the richest experience of my life, leading me to believe that while I've often overestimated what I could accomplish in a day, I had underestimated what I could do in a year. But most of all, I learned that it's possible for two people to fall in love over and over again, no matter how many disappointments are between them.
? Nicholas Sparks, The Wedding (Adapted)
Poetry Speaks the Language of The Heart
Poetry is an artistic and passionate way to wish your significant other a happy anniversary. A poem is one a way to give a particularly romantic anniversary message because poetry is known for its grace and elegance. You can also include these poems when you wish loved ones or friends a happy anniversary by engraving them in a gift, setting the printed poem with a gift, or including them in a happy anniversary card.
Rise Up and Salute the Sun
Laugh, I tell you
And you will turn back
The hands of time.
Smile, I tell you
And you will reflect
The face of the divine.
Sing, I tell you
And all the angels will sing with you!
Cry, I tell you
And the reflections found in your pool of tears -
Will remind you of the lessons of today and yesterday
To guide you through the fears of tomorrow.
? Suzy Kassem, The Writings of Suzy Kassem
I'm growing fonder of my staff;
I'm growing dimmer in my eyes;
I'm growing fainter in my laugh;
I'm growing deeper in my sighs;
I'm growing careless of my dress;
I'm growing frugal of my gold;
I'm growing wise; I'm growing - yes, -
I'm growing old. But I will never grow tired of you.
? John Godfrey Saxe (Adapted)
You're the only friend I need
Sharing beds like little kids
And laughing 'til our ribs get tough.
But that will never be enough.
I need to grow old with you.
? Lorde, Lorde - Pure Heroine Songbook (Adapted)
Happy Wedding Anniversary Quotes
Some quotes are just meant to wish someone a happy anniversary. Here are some perfect anniversary quotes to use to remember a special wedding day:
- Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads, which sew people together through the year
- Simone Signoret
- Love grows more tremendously full, swift, poignant, as the years multiply.
- Zane Grey
- May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
- Robert A. Heinlein
- We are not the same persons this year as last; nor are those we love. It is a happy chance if we, changing, continue to love a changed person.
- W. Somerset Maugham
- There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.
- Martin Luther
- Let the wife make the husband glad to come home and let him make her sorry to see him leave.
- Martin Luther
- Marriage is a coming together for better or for worse, hopefully enduring, and intimate to the degree of being sacred.
- William O. Douglas
- More marriages might survive if the partners realized that sometimes the better comes after the worse.
- Doug Larson
- May this marriage be full of laughter, our every day in paradise.
- When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory.
- F Nietzsche
Funny Wedding Anniversary Quotes
Having a sense of humor is a spectacular trait. You’re able to make light of difficult situations and make the good times even better. You can also use your sense of humor to implement a funny happy anniversary quote into your happy anniversary message.
- A wedding anniversary is the celebration of love, trust, partnership, tolerance and tenacity. The order varies for any given year.
- Paul Sweeney
- Some people ask the secret of our long marriage. We take time to go to a restaurant two times a week. A little candlelight, dinner, soft music and dancing. She goes Tuesdays, I go Fridays.
- Henny Youngman
- I've been in love with the same woman for forty-one years. If my wife finds out, she'll kill me.
- Henny Youngman
- Married people from my generation are like an endangered species!
- Patrice Leconte
- My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me.
- Winston Churchill
- By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher.
- An ideal wife is any woman who has an ideal husband.
- Booth Tarkington
Marriage and Couples' Therapy
If your relationship needs some hard work, consider doing it online in the privacy and comfort of your own home. ReGain's registered therapists are licensed and exclusively qualified to deal with any relationship or personal problems you may experience. Whether you see a provider online or in your local area, counseling can help you and your spouse enhance or repair your relationship. Search the network of licensed professionals at ReGain and find the perfect fit for you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What do you say on an anniversary?
Any of the anniversary quotes and anniversary messages in the article above are an excellent way to wish your partner a happy anniversary. Though some of these anniversary quotes are best for married couples, many of them are also applicable to long-term couples who want to celebrate their relationship but aren’t married. Here are some additional ideas for wonderful anniversary quotes or anniversary messages:
“The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds.” - Nicholas Sparks
“For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul.” - Judy Garland
“The secret of a happy marriage is finding the right person. You know they’re right if you love to be with them all the time.” - Julia Child
Some people also add a classic statement like, “I’ll love you until the day I die” or “I’ll love you forever,” when they say happy anniversary to show their commitment and affection for their partner. If you’re a friend or family member of a couple you care about, you can also use these quotes as a part of your happy anniversary wish. You might put one of these quotes on or inside of a card or gift alongside the words “happy anniversary” to let them know that you care and are thinking of them.
What is correct; wedding anniversary or marriage anniversary?
While “wedding anniversary” is more popular, you can use the terms wedding anniversary and marriage anniversary interchangeably if you decide to do so. Some people have a preference for either term, whereas others don’t. What’s important is that you let your spouse know how much you cherish the relationship and that you give others in your life your best wishes by wishing them a happy anniversary when they remember their big day. The biggest part of making every anniversary special is knowing that you’re with someone that you love and that you’re dedicated to maintaining a healthy relationship together. Spend time with your special someone and pick anniversary messages or anniversary gifts that suit your relationship to make your wedding anniversary or marriage anniversary a great one.
Do you wish someone a happy anniversary?
It is a kind gesture to wish people a happy anniversary on their special day. If someone mentions that they have an anniversary coming up, it is polite to say “happy anniversary” to them. You don’t have to spend hours finding the perfect quote to wish a friend a happy anniversary; keeping it casual and wishing them well is good enough. There are some occasions, however, where you may wish to craft a special message or find distinct anniversary gifts. For example, if you’re wishing your parents a happy anniversary, you may want to do something unique or special. You can look for anniversary quotes for parents online, or you can find an anniversary gift that’ll warm their hearts. Especially for a milestone anniversary, you might consider getting flowers or a similar special gift sent to your parents with a happy anniversary quote or note enclosed. This is a great idea for anyone because it’s something that you can do to wish someone a happy anniversary no matter how close or far you are from each other.
If you’re looking for anniversary gifts or anniversary gift ideas for a couple in your life and aren’t sure where to turn, there are a couple of things you can do. You can go with a classic anniversary gift such as an engraved ornament or flowers, or you can get crafty and create a custom anniversary gift such as a picture frame with a photo of the couple enclosed to celebrate the anniversary of their wedding day. You might pick a picture from their wedding day or choose another picture of the couple where you can see their joy and the love they feel for one another. This is a great idea if your best friend or a close family member is celebrating a wedding anniversary and you want to give a gift that’s unique to them alongside any anniversary messages you share.
What is the sweetest thing to say to your husband?
It can be hard to think of the perfect thing to say to show your husband that you love him, whether you’re looking for happy anniversary quotes and anniversary messages to use when celebrating an anniversary or sweet sayings to use on any given day. A sweet, well-known quote by Karen Clodfelde goes, “As we grow older together, as we continue to change with age, there is one thing that will never change - I will always keep falling in love with you.” This is a quote that you can use as a happy anniversary quote or during a romantic moment in your day to day life. Regardless of if you use a well-known quote or write one of your own, choose something customizable and tailored to your husband, his personality, and his interests. Compliment him on his traits on a regular basis and point out what makes him special. The display of affection and appreciation will go a long way.
What should I say to my husband on our anniversary?
On your anniversary, you can use quotes that are specific to anniversaries, such as, “an anniversary is a time to celebrate the joys of today, the memories of yesterday, and the hopes of tomorrow” (author unknown) to show your husband that you care and that the anniversary is important to you. If you want to keep things simple, you can also say, “you’re the love of my life,” “you’re my one true love,” or “happy anniversary to the love of my life.” This is a day to wear your heart on your sleeve. If you appreciate something about him, don’t just assume that he knows; tell him. Think about what makes him unique and why you’d choose him over anyone else so that you can express to your husband just how incredible he is as a person. Sometimes, we fall into routines or get busy with our jobs, kids, and other parts of our lives, and as a result, we stop pointing out the things that make us love someone. Your anniversary is a perfect day to break that pattern and let it all out. Of course, it’s imperative to show your partner affection all year, but an anniversary is a special day to reflect on the love you have for your spouse.
How do I write a love message to my husband?
If you want to craft a unique love message for your husband, there are a couple of things to keep in mind. First, think about the kind of person he is. Would he prefer something funny, or would something deep and romantic be a better fit? It’s likely that you know him better than anyone else, so choose something with a personal touch. For example, you can reference or recall a memory that the two of you have together in your message, or you can write out the things you love about him. This will show that you put effort into making the love message special. If there’s a song you both like, a song you danced to at your wedding, or another song that depicts the love you feel, you can also quote the lyrics to add to the romance and thoughtful nature of the gesture. The same goes for a special book or movie. Wedding anniversary wishes and happy anniversary quotes don’t have to be grandiose or over the top to be special if that’s not your or your partner’s personality; sometimes, the most well-loved, expressive, and classic quotes of all time are also the most simple.
What do you say on your 5 year anniversary?
Your five year anniversary is a special landmark in your relationship, as is the one-year mark, ten-year mark, twenty-year mark, thirty-year mark, and so on. When it’s time to celebrate your anniversary, you can use wedding anniversary wishes or anniversary messages alongside statements like, “year after year, I fall in love with you more,” to let your spouse know that your love for them is only growing and wish them a happy anniversary. Make sure to show appreciation for any anniversary gifts given or dates planned by saying something akin to, “it’s perfect and I loved every minute of it” or “this is the best anniversary I could’ve asked for.” No matter how many years pass, don’t take it for granted when your spouse goes out of their way to do something kind for you. Research shows that this is part of how couples keep the love alive in a relationship; affection and communication are essential. You can also use any of the happy anniversary quotes in this article if you’re not sure how to express the happiness and gratitude you feel for your true love on your five-year anniversary. When you find anniversary quotes you like and want to share with your spouse, you can leave them in their classic form or make them your own by adding a personalized message alongside the quote. As long as you let your partner know that you’re proud to celebrate five years with them and that you look forward to many more, you’re good to go.
What is the most romantic saying?
There are many classic or popular romantic sayings that you can use to express your love, whether you use them alongside anniversary gifts or on any given day. Here are some of them:
“You are the finest, loveliest, tenderest and most beautiful person I have ever known - and even that is an understatement.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald
“For the two of us, home isn’t a place. It is a person. And we are finally home.” - Stephanie Perkins
“Meeting you was fate becoming your friend was a choice but falling in love with you was beyond my control.” - Unknown
“Real love stories never have endings.” - Richard Bach
“The best thing to hold onto in life is each other.” - Audrey Hepburn
“You know you’re in love when you can’t fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” - Dr. Suess
“A true love story never ends.” - Unknown
How do you wish Happy anniversary to both?
While you could wish a couple a happy anniversary by simply saying, “happy anniversary,” if you’re reading this, it’s likely that you want to come up with something a bit more unique. You can look for happy anniversary quotes online, use the ones included in this article, or find a sweet card to wish both members of a couple a happy anniversary. Most card stores and gift shops have a section for anniversary cards that are meant to go to both members of a couple. Depending on your relationship with the couple, you might get them a funny anniversary card, a sentimental card, or a card that represents your appreciation for the couple and their love while wishing them a happy anniversary. A simple, sweet anniversary message for a couple in your life that says more than just “happy anniversary” is, “happy anniversary to my favorite couple.” On a couple's anniversary it’s important to make them feel special, especially if you are looking for anniversary messages for both for a couple that you’re very close to. If you’re wishing a happy anniversary to your mom and dad, you can say “happy anniversary mom and dad” along with an anniversary gift to show how much they mean to you. Especially for a milestone anniversary such as a 25th anniversary or 50th anniversary, you likely want to say happy anniversary mom and dad in a memorable and unique way. Again, if you are looking for a niche anniversary message or special anniversary messages for parents, you can search the web or use one of the sayings provided in this article. Whether you keep it simple or wish a couple a happy anniversary more intricately, they’re bound to appreciate the gesture and feel grateful for having a friend, family member, or loved one like you.
Previous ArticleWhat Is A Rebound Relationship? The Signs Of A Rebound Relationship To Watch Out For
Next ArticleAre You Wondering, “Is It Normal To Still Love My Ex?”
Anxiety Attachment Attraction Chat Counseling Dating Depression Divorce Domestic Violence Engagement Family Friendship General How To Infidelity Intimacy Love Marriage Online Dating Parenting Psychology Relationship Singleness Therapist
DD Personality Traits: Does Your D&D Character Reflect You? Can Stress Cause Spotting? The Dangers Of Attention Seeking Behavior? 6 Fitness Motivation Tips To Start You On Your Fitness Journey What Is The Difference Between A Sociopath And A Narcissistic Sociopath? What Do I Do When I Am Feeling Alone And Need Someone To Talk to?