Why Sending A Romantic Text Is A Good (Or Bad) Idea
Content warning: This article includes references to abuse and other topics that may be considered triggering. Please proceed with discretion. If you are experiencing or witnessing any form of abuse, you can contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE (7233).
Texting: it’s one of the most common forms of communication, and with good reason. Texts are easy to send, they often arrive almost instantly, and they can be as short or long as you want them to be. Needless to say, many romantic partners use texting to communicate with each other at different stages of their relationship.
Texting your romantic partner can be a useful and easy way to communicate, but it's not without its drawbacks. In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of texting in a romantic relationship, as well as best practices for texting your romantic partner.
The Pros And Cons Of Texting In Relationships
Thanks to technology like cell phones, staying in touch with your significant other can be easier now than ever before. It’s not uncommon for partners to use texting to get to know each other during the early stages of their relationship, to express romantic feelings, and to check in with one another throughout the day. Texting can also be invaluable for those in long-distance relationships, with research finding that it can lead to increased relationship satisfaction among long-distance couples.
That said, it’s important to keep in mind that texting is not the same as face-to-face communication. A lot gets lost in translation when you send someone a text, including tone, context, and body language. This can lead to misunderstandings and arguments if one person misinterprets or makes assumptions about their partner’s texts. Furthermore, text messages also run the risk of being shared with other people, and, in some cases, can contribute to abusive or toxic relationship dynamics.
That’s why, in order to make the most out of this form of communication, it’s important to make sure you’re practicing safe, healthy habits when you text your partner.
What To Do When Texting A Romantic Partner
So, how can you leverage the power of texting to show your love for your partner in a healthy way? Here are a few tips:
- Set boundaries: Boundaries are an important part of any romantic relationship, and boundaries extend to text messaging, too. That’s why it can be important to talk to your partner about what you are and are not comfortable with when it comes to digital communication. You might consider establishing ground rules about sending intimate texts, texting late at night, or texting during work hours.
- Be mindful of what you're sending: Once you send a text message, you may have little control over who sees it or how it’s interpreted. It is important to keep this in mind when texting a romantic partner, and to make sure you trust the person you’re messaging.
Practice healthy communication habits: Healthy communication is a key factor in healthy relationships, and communication via text is no exception. It can be important to address issues openly, ask for clarification when you need it, and validate your partner's feelings the same way you would in face-to-face communication.
What To Avoid When Texting A Romantic Partner
Because of the inherent differences between texting and talking to someone face-to-face, it's also important to know what not to do when texting a romantic partner. Practices to avoid when texting your significant other include:
- Jumping to conclusions: Because texts lack the context, tone, and body language involved in in-person conversations, they are more prone to being misinterpreted. Keep in mind that if your partner doesn't respond to your texts right away, this doesn't necessarily mean they’re angry, or that they’re avoiding talking to you. If you’re unsure what a text from your partner means, it's important to ask them to clarify, and to avoid making assumptions about what they're thinking or feeling based on their texts alone.
- Having difficult conversations: Some topics are best discussed face-to-face. Significant conflicts, breakups, and major life events may all be examples of subjects to discuss with your partner in-person or over the phone, rather than via text.
- Pressuring: If there’s something your partner isn't comfortable sending or discussing over text, it’s best not to pressure them. Similarly, you should not feel pressured by your partner to do anything over text that you aren’t comfortable with. If your partner forces the issue, this may be a sign of an unhealthy or abusive dynamic. (If you are experiencing or witnessing any form of abuse, you can contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233).
For all the benefits of texting, it can also lead to relationship challenges, including conflicts or patterns of unhealthy communication. For couples who are struggling to communicate via text in a healthy and respectful way, or whose texting behaviors are causing problems in their relationship, support from a relationship counselor may be helpful. Couples therapy can allow partners to address communication issues in a judgment-free setting and develop the tools to communicate safely and respectfully—in text and in person.
That said, traditional couples counseling may not always be easy to attend. For couples who rely on texting due to busy schedules or conflicting obligations, it may be difficult to commute to a therapist's office for face-to-face sessions. In these cases, online therapy through a platform like Regain may be appealing. With the ability to attend counseling from wherever is most convenient, virtual therapy may offer a more accessible alternative to traditional couples therapy.
Couples seeking help in improving their communication may wonder whether online therapy is as effective as traditional therapy. Research indicates that it is. A 2022 study, for example, found that online couples therapy was as effective as in-person counseling at improving relationship satisfaction, as well as symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression. A different study found that virtual couples therapy led to an increased sense of connection between couples and their therapists.
Texting your romantic partner can be an easy and convenient way to communicate at a distance. However, texting in a romantic relationship can have drawbacks due to a lack of context, and has the potential to turn unhealthy. Strategies for keeping your texting healthy and safe may include setting boundaries, avoiding jumping to conclusions, and taking difficult conversations offline, among others.
If you would like support in improving your communication dynamic with your partner, you can get matched with a licensed relationship counselor via Regain.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
What Can I Text A Guy To Make Him Smile?
There is something about making someone you care about happy that can fill you with joy. It isn’t unusual to desire to put a smile on the face of your significant other. Men love feeling appreciated, and while most men probably won’t admit it, they smile and even blush when they get love messages from the woman they love.
There are no specific text messages that can certainly make your man smile, but there are a few tips for writing love notes that will help you write love messages that will melt any man’s heart and put a big smile on his face. These are:
- Send romantic love messages that will make him feel appreciated: As was stated earlier, men love feeling appreciated. Everyone does, really. It feels great to know that you’re worth something to someone, that your presence in a person’s life is a source of joy for them. Sending your man a love message that details just how much he means to you and how much you appreciate him will definitely make him smile.
- Send romantic love messages that will make him feel beautiful: this is another thing that men might hesitate to admit. Men are often insecure about the way they look, and even if they aren’t, telling him just how beautiful he is to you will make him smile.
- Send him good night messages about how your day was perfect because you spent it with him.
- Send him good night messages about how you miss him and how you’re counting down the hours till you get to see him again.
- Send him love messages detailing how a particular book or movie or song made you think of him and how that brought a smile to your face. Sending love messages that let him know that the thought of him makes you smile is bound to put a huge smile on his face.
What Is The Best Love Message?
Defining what the best love message is can be quite difficult. This is because everyone is different, and the things that make one person blush and smile, when said to someone else, might not even move them. So sending romantic love messages requires a knowledge of the person you’re sending love to. You should apply your experience of and with your lover into the construction of love messages.
You should then highlight features they have that you love. Let them know how they make you feel and how much better your life is because you have them. To add icing to the cake, let them know how much you miss them and how much longer the hours feel without them. This is sure to keep them up all night thinking about you. Sending love messages that make your significant other feel appreciated and at the same time desired and wanted is a very powerful way to make them feel loved and increase their affection for you.
How Can I Melt My Girlfriend’s Heart With Words?
Melting your girlfriend’s heart with romantic messages isn’t difficult, as long as you’re honest. Most women can tell when their lover is genuine or not, even over a text message. That being said, there are several ways to make your girlfriend’s heart melt when she reads your text message. Some ways you can do this include:
- Waking her up with a love message: your girlfriend will absolutely love this. Sending love messages to your girlfriend before she wakes up will let her know that she was the first person you thought about when you woke up, and what better way is there to make her feel special?
- Send her love messages about how beautiful she is: This is a no-brainer. Everyone loves to feel beautiful, but we all want validation from our significant other even more than that. Letting her know just how beautiful she is will make her heart melt. Be sure to mention specific things you find beautiful about her. Whether it’s her eyes, her smile, the sound of her laughter, mentioning specific features will make her feel your loving gaze on her, even though it’s through text.
- Text her at random times: Most love messages are sent either in the morning or before bed. Sending her love messages while she’s at work or at a busy time of the day will make her heart melt.
- Make it poetic: You might not be great at writing poetry, but that shouldn’t stop you from trying. Most love messages are boring and repetitive. Adding a dash of poetry helps to spice things up; it also makes it much more romantic. Even if it’s something cheesy, you’ll be sure to have her grinning from ear to ear. If you don’t know how to send poetic text messages, try thinking of something you love or find beautiful and then draw a comparison between that thing and her. Doing this will improve your love messages considerably.
- Send her love messages detailing things you saw or heard that reminded you of her: this not only makes for a great romance, it also lets her know that you’ve been thinking about her throughout the day.
What Can I Say Instead Of I Love You?
A phrase is as powerful as ‘I love you can get pretty washed up after a while. If you say it too often, it loses its potency. Instead of saying I love you, you can switch things up by mentioning specific things you love about your partner. For instance, you can send text messages that say, ‘I love how beautiful you look when you smile,’ or even, ‘I love being able to call you mine. This way, your messages send love, but you’re also able to make it seem less repetitive and more genuine. Do this whether you’re sending love messages for the husband or love messages for the wife.
How Do You Express Deep Love In Words?
The most powerful romantic messages are packed with context and meaning. Merely telling someone, you love them doesn’t express a deep amount of love. To send love texts that express deep love, you have to mention the specific things you love about the person. You have to send love texts that tell them how they make you feel happy to be with them.
Showing appreciation for their love, their features, and their presence in your life is the best way to express deep love. These types of messages send deep affection to the person you love. So make sure you send romantic messages that are laced with intimate details. Do this whether you’re sending love messages for the husband or love messages for the wife.
How do you start a romantic text conversation?
Should I send a romantic text?
What words make a man feel special?
How do I flirt with a guy over text?
How do I make texting Sound interesting?
- Previous Article
- Next Article