Is It Okay To Send Goodnight Texts To Her If You’re Not In A Relationship?
By: Angela W. McShan
Updated August 03, 2021
Medically Reviewed By: Tanya Harell
No doubts, text messages are an excellent tool for communication, especially in our today’s crazy, fast-paced world. Advancements in technology have their advantages and disadvantages. In many ways, it has simplified some of the most complicated areas of life. But in others, it makes the simplest things seem complicated. Communication is at the bedrock of any kind of relationship and text messages are one of the ways through which lots of people express their feelings to the people in their lives. They are so important and depending on how you use them, they can either help you strengthen the bond in your relationship. When it comes to dating or marital relationships, understanding how to express your feelings to your partner is very important. People who make conscious efforts to openly communicate with their partners stand a higher chance at building successful relationships.
For instance, when used correctly, texting can be very helpful for you to reach out and touch the heart of your partner or a love interest. However, texting is a simple act that can cause mass confusion in many ways. Sending texts is a convenient means of communication, but they can also be misleading. Understanding the positives as well as negatives of texting will help you to know the best way to communicate with your loved ones. For this reason, people question themselves before sending certain text messages. Among the most common doubtful text scenarios include:
- How long should you wait to send a text after the first date?
- Should you text or call after the initial exchange of phone numbers?
- Is it okay to text a co-worker about non-work issues?
- How long should you wait before replying to a text from someone you like?
These are only a few of the many questions that cross the minds of millions of people each day. One of the biggest questions regarding texting is one that many people ponder for hours before reaching a final decision. It’s one that you may view as relatively simple, but only if you’ve never been in this situation before. The big text question that has many people scratching their head is if it’s okay to send good night texts to her if you’re just friends or not in a relationship. Why is this such a complicated issue for most people? It could be one of many reasons, but the most common is that the person sending the text may want to pursue something more than a friendship with the recipient.
Maintaining Friendships Via Text
Sometimes, there’s a plain and simple explanation for sending a good night text. You really value the friendship but are simply too busy to connect or see each other often. Trying to keep in touch with your friend who you do not see very often and maintaining the strong bond you both share can be very challenging for anyone. Juggling between attending to work demands, busy schedules and everyday demands- life usually just gets in the way. A good night text is a simple but effective way to let your friend know that you’re thinking of them. Life’s complications can make keeping in touch with friends almost impossible. But the major advancements in technology provide tools that allow you to bridge the gap. Mobile devices and social media allow you to create a game plan that helps to maintain your friendships, regardless of distance. In just a few clicks, you can check up on your friends, send wishes and messages, or good will texts to let them know they are on your mind.
If you have a friend that you value but can’t manage to see each other or talk often, sending a goodnight text isn’t a bad idea. This way, you let your friend(s) know that regardless of the distance and busyness, they are still an integral part of your life. You may be surprised to know that a good night text helps to lift the spirits of a person who may have had a bad day and can’t fall asleep. It’s a nice feeling to know that you’re in someone’s thoughts, and a good night text for her is an ideal way to show you care, put a smile on their face and help them have a beautiful and peaceful sleep. Staying in touch with your long-distance friend is something that should not be taken lightly, especially if the friendship means much to you. Every friendship is unique and special, however, maintaining long-distance friendships require more time commitment compared to a friend who stays just around the corner, or one you see frequently. One very effective way to make these friendships work and keep the good vibes alive is by perfecting your texting game.
To build and/or maintain your friendships through text messages and make them thrive, there are some key ingredients to put in place. First, it is important to have and show genuine interest in the other person and show sincere care for them. You can express this by asking questions about them, their interests, and their everyday life. You never know what is really going on in people’s lives, and checking on them may just be what they need to brighten their day. Your message can make their mind be filled with beautiful thoughts that help them get over their heaviness and help them have a good night’s sleep. Another thing is to try your best to be consistent and reliable in your interactions with your friend. The other things in your life calling for your attention can make it easy to cut off communication abruptly, especially when it comes to texts. The other person should be able to count on you not to just ‘ghost’ on them. Being deliberate about keeping in touch can be as easy as punching in thoughtful words on your phone keyboard and sending to your friends. Here below are some text message scenarios to revive or maintain your friendship via texts:
- Tell them you miss them. If you both haven’t seen each other in a while, you can send them a message like “I miss you. What’s new?” Although this may seem too simple, however, it is important to know that even the simple things mean a lot would mean a lot to your friend when done from the heart. When you ask them what’s new, you are allowing them to set or redirect the tone of communication. They may either chastise you for not reaching out or returning their calls, or return the gesture and tell you they miss you too, and attempt to give you a rundown of the many things that have been happening in their life. At some point, the conversation may need to go beyond texting and they may try to schedule a meet-up, maybe over lunch. Regardless of how far apart you and this friend may have been, reaching out to see how she’s doing and being genuinely interested in catching up will not go unnoticed, and definitely, the gesture will be appreciated. It helps your friend to know that they are on your mind and you are committed to staying connected to them, despite the distance and the gap in communication.
- Apologize for not staying in touch, and ask how they have been. Between juggling through the many things calling for your attention- school, career, family and life demands in general, it may get difficult to stay in touch with a friend who isn’t so physically accessible as compared to someone you see regularly. It is not a bad thing to get real and admit the fact that you’ve been far away. You should be able to get real with your friend, right? Don’t be scared to admit or take responsibility for the breach in communication. Maybe you couldn’t keep up with staying in touch or wasn’t even responsive to their own attempts to connect because you got too busy or you were going through some challenges or a depression phase. Whatever the reason is that made you pull back or drop the ball in the friendship, admitting your fault to your friend and making them know you are sorry about it would be a very thoughtful thing to do. It is a different thing if you constantly drop the ball over and over and you abuse this approach by constantly sending “I’m sorry” messages, the apologies would be considered insincere, feel fake and hollow. However, if you are the type of friend who usually keeps in touch but life just got in the way, your apology would feel genuine and would be a great way to reconnect with your friend. Asking them how things have been would also make them feel you aren’t just trying to ‘report in’ but are genuinely interested in conversing.
- Send amusing videos or memes to make them laugh. One good thing about humor and laughter is that it connects you to the initiator almost instantly. Sending hilarious videos or memes to your friend can help you build a sort of bonding. It is important to be careful while doing this though, because sending funny messages to someone you are not so close to or you are typically out of touch with can feel weird. But if you send to a friend who you have always shared some level of bond with and you feel the meme or video would make them laugh, then by all means, send it and use it as a means of reconnecting. There is a way funny videos and memes can help distract us from the busyness and challenges of everyday life. Sometimes, our friends may have been going through a tough time, may have been very busy or super stressed. Helping your girlfriend to good moments of laughter especially at the end of a hectic day may be just what they need to light up their mood and look forward to the new day ahead with hope and enthusiasm.
- Remind them of beautiful memories you had together. Reminiscing on beautiful moments you have shared together have a way of bringing people closer. Although those times are passed, they still carry in them unforgettable memories for you and your friend. Getting a text message like “hey, remember one time we did so and so together…?” from a friend is a super fun way to take each other down memory lane. You can also send them some beautiful old pictures of both of you to let them know that although you are now physically apart, you haven’t forgotten all your epic memories. When you send this sort of message to your friend, it makes them know that you are thinking of them fondly and are reminiscing about the good times you both shared. These sort of messages give depth to a friendship and will most certainly put a smile on one’s face.
Understanding A Good Night Text
To put it simply, a good night text is exactly what it implies, a text to say good night. They could arrive before a person plans to go to bed but as an indication that the sender is wishing you a good night. They may also arrive after an engaging conversation. A good night text for her could mean more to her than you could imagine. The goal in most good night texts is to let the recipient know that you’re on their mind for one or more reasons. Women, especially like it when they know that they are in your thoughts. It is important to maintain clarity in the message when sending texts. It’s easy for the recipient to perceive or misperceive the intended message.
Here are a few good night texts to consider if you’re not in a relationship.
- Hey! Just checking on you, I know you had a big day today.
Checking on friends is what friends do, right? Sending a text at the end of the day to find out how your friend’s day went is a good way to say good night to them. If it wasn’t a good day, you may be able to send words of inspiration to help them end their day on a positive note.
- I know we haven’t had a chance to chat lately, but I hope you’ve had a great day.
This one could be considered as the good night apology type text. It’s a way of apologizing for not keeping in touch but lets them know that you’re thinking of them. Most friends understand that life gets chaotic and just because friends don’t talk every day, doesn’t make the friendship any less valuable.
- Try to get some rest tonight.
Sometimes, a friend may be overwhelmed with the details of life. A good night text could encourage them to get some much needed rest. It’s a way of showing that you’re concerned about them and want them to take care of themselves.
- Call me in the morning.
The “call me in the morning” text is a common one that implies that the day has come to an end, and you look forward to speaking with them tomorrow. Friends often ask other friends to call them. This is a text exchange that occurs between friends or in relationships.
- I know today was a busy one. We’ll talk tomorrow.
This good night text shows consideration to the recipient. It’s a way of acknowledging that their busy schedule may have prevented the two of you from talking today, but tomorrow may present a different opportunity.
Here are a few good night texts to consider if you are interested in more than a friendship.
1. I can’t wait to talk to you tomorrow.
This text shows your desire to connect with the recipient the next day. It sets the stage for something more than just a friendship.
2. You’re always on my mind at the beginning and end of each day.
Once you’ve decided to let your friend know that you want more than a friendship, this text is a great door opener. It’s important that you be prepared for their response to be one of acceptance or rejection.
3. Texting to say good night because I’ve been thinking of you all day.
Stop torturing yourself, and let your friend know how you really feel. If you’ve caught feelings for your friend, let them know. Keep in mind that true friends are rare. If you feel it will jeopardize your friendship, take precaution in the way you approach this conversation.
4. Going through old pics and found this one of us. We would make a cute couple.
If you want to know what your friend thinks about the possibility of a relationship with you, this text could be the best way to get an answer. Their reply would reveal if they think that there is a possibility for more than just a friendship. It’s ideal to send this as a good night text, because it prevents the remainder of the day from being awkward for the both of you.
5. I’m tired of spending my nights without you.
If bluntness is your thing, this good night text is for you. Let your friend know that you have romantic feelings for them by expressing your feelings in a text. They may feel the same way but could be waiting on you to initiate the conversation.
The Misinterpretation of Text Messages
There is a huge misrepresentation in text messages, because there is no emotion in texting. In-person communication works better for some people. This is especially true if there are issues or trouble in the relationship. Due to the fact that text messages, in most cases, are more liable to be misunderstood or misinterpreted because they cannot accurately convey tone, facial expressions, body language, emotions, eye contact, oral speech, or face-to-face conversations.
The lack of tone in texts has caused some relationships and friendships to suffer hardships. How can you prevent misinterpretation in texts? It may not be possible to prevent it entirely, but there are ways to decrease the chances that a good night text to her is misinterpreted.
Here are a few tips to help ensure that your texts aren’t misinterpreted.
Keep the texts simple. Always strive to send a simple message that’s easy to understand. Keep sentences short to prevent any degree of uncertainty in what you want to say. Simple words and sentences help increase the probability that your text won’t be misinterpreted. It’s pointless to send long and engaged sentences because they will likely be misunderstood.
Be careful with abbreviations. Although text messages are mostly expected to be brief, it is however important to use basic terms and especially abbreviations that people are familiar with. You will most likely run yourself into hot water and out people off during conversations if you are used to making up your own terms or abbreviations or using uncommon ones.
Use basic vocabulary. If you’re a person that normally uses an extensive vocabulary, save it for the in person conversations. Text messages aren’t a good platform for big words and technical vocabulary. Over complicated words or jargons is how some people fail to understand what others mean in their text messages.
Be brief and accurate. Conciseness is the core of clarity. This is a good rule of thumb to follow when sending a text, email, or other written messages. Always be brief and to-the-point. Avoid the use of needless words, sentences, and clauses.
Be careful with flirting. While text messages can be an amazing platform for flirting, it is important to exercise caution while at it. Be honest and sincere, and most importantly, exercise discretion. You do not want to get sassy, be seen as rude, or raise expectations that will hurt the person you are flirting with, or lead the other person on into something you do not intend.
Don’t forget to spell check. It’s common for people to hit the send button on a text message without reading over it. This is especially important if you want to impress the person you’re texting. It may not be perceived well if you misspell several of the words in your message. While spellcheck is important, there is some research that indicates a few misspelled words could help to deliver the intended message more effectively.
It is also helpful to consider the 5 C’s of effective communication. It is always important to maintain quality communication with your friends, whether you’re romantically involved or not. The 5 C’s of communication are applicable in verbal and written communication.
Concreteness displays strength in texting. It helps you to send a solid message to the recipient. This is the type of message that is usually supported by solid facts. It prevents the text from sounding too vague and adds meaning to it.
Coherence ensures that the message remains on target. Most misinterpretations occur because of the inconsistency in text messages. The recipient should have no problem understanding the details of the text.
Completion is necessary for effective communication, even texting. If you have a habit of sending incomplete texts, you likely experience many occurrences where your texts are misunderstood. Be sure to provide any relevant information when sending a text message. Completion in texts enhances the communication and prevents the need for the recipient to assume certain things.
Clarity is the most obvious “C,” as it is important to be clear in your message. When sending a good night text to her, use words that you typically use when speaking with them in person. When all else fails, remember the common rule and just keep it simple.
Courtesy is a trait that all messages should display. If the recipient can clearly see that you’re being kind, they may be more receptive of the message, and maintain a positive outlook.
Text communication is a convenience in many situations, but it can put a strain on some relationships. If you’re at a crossroads in the relationship or friendship, it may be best to talk in person. This prevents the situation from becoming worse due to misinterpretation of the text message.
If you’re in a place where you’ve found it difficult to communicate with others outside of texting, you may want to talk with a counselor to overcome those difficulties. Texting should be a complement to other forms of communication and not the sole means of communication between friends. Whenever you feel a friend is going through something serious, pick up the phone and call if you can’t be there for them. However, sending a good night text can help to keep a casual or romantic friendship afloat.
Don’t be afraid to reach out to a therapist or counselor at ReGain if you need support.
"My experience with Priscilla has been immensely helpful in better understanding myself and providing me with the tools to see my life and relationships with more clarity and compassion."
“Shannon is very knowledgeable, and skilled in knowing how to use that knowledge to help others. She is also very compassionate and encouraging. I was skeptical about using a counseling service, but this experience has been incredible. I highly recommend Shannon to anyone who needs guidance or help through a difficult time in life. I gave her some enormous challenges, and nothing has been over her head. She has been a tremendous help to me.”
Previous ArticleDo You Need Online Grief Support?
Next ArticleIf You’re Into A Girl, Text Her These 9 Things To Take Your Relationship To The Next Level
Anxiety Attachment Attraction Chat Counseling Dating Depression Divorce Domestic Violence Engagement Family Friendship General How To Infidelity Intimacy Love Marriage Online Dating Parenting Psychology Relationship Singleness Therapist
What Does Chronic Loneliness Feel Like? Do You Need Online Grief Support? If You’re Into A Girl, Text Her These 9 Things To Take Your Relationship To The Next Level Guy Texting Advice: 9 Ways To Keep Him Engaged In Conversation How Often Should You Text A Girl You Like? Funny Things to Text a Guy to Make Him Laugh After a Hard Day