Is She Interested In You? Female Body Language Signs Of Attraction
Updated November 23, 2019
Reviewer Lauren Guilbeault
In the world of animals, it's common for the male to introduce the idea of mating, while the female can choose to reject or accept the advancement. No one likes rejection, right? However, it's common. Sometimes, the inability to read the signs that indicate interest may be hard for a man to read, and he can take it as rejection.
Humans traditionally share the same manner of approach, but it's equally as acceptable for women to approach the man these days. Men are typically expected to initiate the approach, but sometimes it's difficult for the man to tell if she's interested in him or not. That's where the problem begins. But for every problem, there's a solution.
A man isn't always comfortable enough to approach a woman without knowing if the interest is mutual. Asking her out is always a great place to start, but what if her responses and actions are vague and difficult to read?
Women typically make the final decision on whether or not a man can proceed with romantic initiatives. Men may have a difficult time understanding or reading the woman's position regarding accepting or rejecting his advances. Even if he understands the approach, it may be that he's not knowledgeable of the signs that women emit when they are indeed interested. Women sometimes wonder why a man hasn't made a move on her or asked her out. Many times it's because he has no idea that you're the slightest interested.
If you're a guy who's baffled when it comes to telling if a woman is interested in you or not, you should familiarize yourself with a few of the female body language signs of attraction. In other words, learn to recognize the signs that women give to show their interest in a man.
Signs A Woman Is Interested In A Man
Many experts have revealed that there are more than 50 signs that women display to show their interested in a man. There is no specific order or significance of one over the other, but they are clear flirtations. It is important to note that if a woman is displaying several of these signs, then she's likely interested in you and will accept your initiatives or advances.
Common female body language signs of attraction:
- She smiles at you often
- She glances at you briefly but often
- She looks away when you make eye contact with her
- She engages eye contact with you
- She strokes her hair while gazing at you
- She licks her lips softly while looking at you
- She leans in when speaking with you
- She faces you while talking or sitting with you
- She strokes your shoulder or hand when speaking with you
- She laughs when you tell corny jokes
- She fiddles with objects in her hands or near her when you're in her presence
Out of each sign listed above, those that are most commonly seen are the smiles, engaging eye contact, and the consistent glances.
Read The Signs Correctly
You can't assume that a woman is interested based on those signs alone. It's important to be able to read them correctly and not misinterpret her friendliness for something more. In many cases, men have difficulty reading social signs, especially sexual signs.
Some clues are complicated and indirect. Others are upfront and easy to read. It is important to construe them correctly. Consider the following signs:
1. She Stands Erect With Stomach Tucked Tightly, And Shoulders Pulled Back. If a woman stands with a tall posture, stomach tucked, and shoulders pulled back, she may be interested in you. It's a sign that she wants to appear her best and make a good impression. It's easy to take note of her posture and its changes as she walks away from or towards you. If she senses that you're looking, she may make adjustments to her posture. She could subconsciously lick her lips or stroke her neck when approaching or passing you. Women do this to emphasize their body or face. She may tilt her head or stroke her hair.
2. She Points Her Feet Towards You. This is a nonverbal sign that may seem a little weird to you, but there's something more to the pointing foot than chance. This is a notable sign because people aren't always conscious or aware of what position their feet are in. If a woman's feet are pointing in your direction during the conversation, it may be a sign of interest. If they are turned in a different direction, or facing the door, there is likely no interest. A woman who sits with her feet beneath her or with tightly crossed legs, it may indicate that she's nervous or not comfortable in your presence. However, a woman is relaxed when her feet are distanced from her body, which could indicate that she's somewhat comfortable around you.
3. She Reacts To Your Touches. The reaction she gives to your touches is an indicator of how she feels about you or if she's interested in you. If a woman is into you, she will notice the slightest touch, even the platonic ones. She may blush, giggle, or flash a quick smile. If she's not interested, she may pull away or not even notice your touch. Be selective with your touches and make sure you're careful not to make inappropriate advances or touches. If engaging in a conversation, a gentle touch on her hand can show her reaction.
4. She's Become Comfortable Enough With You To Touch You. Women will often place their hands on a guy if they are interested in him. She may graze his arm in agreement with something he said or rub his hand as a show of affection. This isn't an invitation to start a relationship or engage in a sexual encounter. She could be merely showing signs that she likes you. Once she begins to make adjustments to your clothing or prick pieces of lint away from your collar or clothing, she may be romantically interested in you. You could always touch her gently to test out her response during this engagement. Some women are touchy-feely with almost everyone, and therefore, a slight touch isn't any indication that she's interested in you.
5. She Mimics Your Gestures And Motions. This is one of the big signs given off by women who are interested in a man. She begins to mirror or mimic your levels of energy by talking similar to you, using some of the same expressions as you, and suddenly making some of the same movements as you. Another one to notice is that she begins using some of the same terminologies as you do, especially certain phrases.
6. She Constantly Fixes Herself Up Around You. When a woman preens, she's fixing or fidgeting with herself to make herself presentable for you. She may do something as simple as apply lip gloss, fix her bangs, or straighten her blouse. It may be a sign of her nerves or wanting to look great for the guy she's interested in. Fidgeting or preening is a natural display of nervousness. Some studies show that women will preen or pout if they're interested in a man. This is typically a sign of extreme attraction and sometimes easy to pick up on.
7. Her Body Language Is Loose When Around You. If she's relaxed in your presence, she's seemingly comfortable around you. This isn't an indicator that she's attracted to you, as it may just be how she is around those she's comfortable with. You'll have to put a little thought into this sign. If the two of you haven't known each other long, but she uses a relaxed style of body language, it could mean that she's interested. Most women need to feel comfortable before they allow their body language to express relaxation around the person they're interested in.
8. She Tilts Her Head Towards Yours During The Conversation. If you're talking and she's leaning inward, she's engaged with you and what you're saying. This is especially true if she does this while the two of you are with a group of other people. It' your conversation that she's most interested in. It's also a sign that she wants to feel closer and connect with you more intimately. When this indication is given, be respectful of her space. Don't tilt your head forward. You don't want to seem overly eager but show that you're listening by engaging eye contact.
9. She Blushes Uncontrollably When You Come Around. Blushing is one of the most noticeable and traditional signs that a woman is interested in a man. She will blush when a man that she likes offers her a compliment or says something nice to her.
10. She's Unusually Shy. There's shy, and then there's shy only when she's around you. When a woman is interested in a man but doesn't know him yet, she may become shy or slightly nervous when around him. She'll make sudden movements, blink her eyes quickly, yawn continuously, or contort her hands. These are signs of nervousness, which typically happens when a person is shy and around someone they're interested in.
There are several female body language signs of attraction that women demonstrate when attracted to a man. Studies reveal that usually, women will make the initial advance, but imperceptibly. It's more common today than it was years ago for women to let a man know that she's interested in him.
If you've been wondering if a woman is interested in you but not sure, make a note of some of the signs above. If she's displaying a few of those around you, she may be interested in you. It's important to be perceptive when noticing these signs, as they aren't always indicative of interest by her and may easily be misconceived.
If you face challenges recognizing signs of interest or not comfortable expressing your interest in someone you're attracted to, you may consider speaking with a therapist. They can assist you in addressing issues of communication that may be hindering you from engaging in healthy and fulfilling relationships.