Creative Ideas And Quotes For A Special Engagement Announcement
Updated November 28, 2019
Reviewer Chante’ Gamby, LCSW
Many couples use creative, novel ways to announce their engagement, and rightfully so! It's a happy, uplifting occasion that should be shared with the world in a way that conveys your love for each other.
Following are a selection of creative ideas and quotes for a really special engagement announcement.
Engagement Announcement Ideas
The most popular way to announce an engagement is by using creative photos that you can upload to social media, print cards with, or send to people electronically via email, phone apps, etc. You can source these from your engagement photo selection, or you can organize a special photoshoot for this purpose alone. Add to the picture's creativity with special effects, black-and-white photos, ambient lighting, etc. to make it stand out. Here are a few ideas for creative photo announcements.
- Cute Pet: Let your pet announce the engagement with a placard around his or her neck. Keep the text on the sign short and striking; read on for a list of amazing engagement announcement quotes for just this purpose. Take pictures of your pet alone, and with you and your fiancé in it too. Alternatively, consider different angles and effects, such as stacking your hands and paws together, or putting the ring on your pet's nose.
- Movie Poster: Customize a movie poster template using your best engagement photo, and an online poster-creating tool such as Canva, Adobe Spark, or Postermywall. Be creative in the wording, or customize an existing movie or TV series' title and slogan.
- Body Parts: Write 'I said Yes' on the back of your fingers (a letter for each finger) and took a photo of your fists together. Or, one can write: 'I asked,' and the other 'I said Yes.' You could also write your announcement on the palm of your hand, and take a photo of the two of you kissing in the background with your arm stretched out, and your palm right in front of the camera lens. For the brave - shave an announcement into your beard!
- Cell Phones: A popular announcement idea is also to take photos of each other on your cell phones. Then take a photo of the two of you together, each holding their cell phone in front of them with the photo of the other towards the camera. Play this way with other images such as the ring, a text message, etc.
- The Ring: Take a creative photo using the engagement ring, such as drawing a little smiling face on each partner's ring fingertip on the cushion side, or on the nail. Then position the engagement ring on the receiving partner's finger, hold your fingers together and let the image speak for itself. Also, take a photo through the ring, or place the ring somewhere unusual, like on top of your pet's head.
- Funny Pictures: Think of pictures of playful and funny scenes, such as role-reversal. This would include the bride-to-be who had her fiancé hanging upside down from a heavy-duty vehicle. The caption was: "The hunt is over." Of course, she poses with a hunting gun in the front. Another good role-reversal scene would be with the two partners on a couch - him reading a wedding magazine, and her holding the gaming controller. Also, think of playing with Before-and-After pictures, Dream Reality, Us vs. Them and so on.
- Groundwork: Consider a perspective photo. With chalk or watercolor paint, write your announcement in large letters on the floor or the tarmac in a car park or similar large space. Then lie down and position yourself to create a tableau on the ground. For instance, draw a picture of balloons on strings, and then lie down, so it looks as if you're 'holding' the strings. The photographer needs to take the shot from a higher position for the picture to make sense.
- A movie house neon sign (Take a photo of the two of you in front of it!)
- A Tarot card
- Your Star signs
- A large road sign or advertising billboard (again, with the two of you in front of the real thing)
- A book or CD cover
- A product label (imagine the wordplay possible on a hot chocolate tin. Or a vacuum cleaner)
- Art of romantic lovers, such as Gustav Klimt's 'The Kiss,' Rodin's famous 'The Kiss' statue, 'Springtime' by Pierre-Auguste Cot, 'Kiss by the Hôtel de Ville' by photographer Robert Doisneau, or Renoir's 'Danse à la '
- Mugshot-style with you and your partner holding a sign with the announcement
- Famous movie scenes (source photos from the web)
- Take photos with you enacting or creatively depicting a saying or a famous quote, such as 'Tying the knot', 'Slave to love', 'Madly in love', 'It feels like home to me'; 'You had me at hello'; 'Every pot gets its lid', 'You're a gem', and so forth.
Engagement Announcement Quotes
Use any of the following quotes on love, engagement, and marriage on your photos or in an engagement announcement card.
- My humans are getting married, or My humans got engaged. (Good for an announcement by a pet)
- Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength while loving someone deeply gives you courage. - Lao Tzu
- There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved. - George Sand
Love as you'll never be hurt,
Sing like there's nobody listening,
And live like its heaven on earth. - William W. Purkey
- You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because the reality is finally better than your dreams. - Dr. Seuss
- I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once. - John Green, Fault in Our Stars.
- I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where. I love you simply, without problems or pride: I love you in this way because I do not know any other way of loving but this, in which there is no I or you, so intimate that your hand upon my chest is my hand, so intimate that when I fall asleep your eyes close. - Pablo Neruda
- There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment. - Sarah Dessen, The Truth About Forever
- I'm in love with you, and I know that love is just a shout into the void, and that oblivion is inevitable, and that we're all doomed and that there will come a day when all our labor has been returned to dust, and I know the sun will swallow the only earth we'll ever have, and I am in love with you. - John Green, Fault in Our Stars.
And therefore is winged Cupid painted blind. - William Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night's Dream
Doubt that the sun doth move;
Doubt truth to be a liar;
But never doubt I love. - William Shakespeare, Hamlet
- Our weirdness is compatible, so we've decided to keep each other. - Anon.
- If I had a flower for every time, I thought of you…I could walk through my garden forever. - Alfred Tennyson
- I have a million things to talk to you about. All I want in this world is you. I want to see you and talk. I want the two of us to begin everything from the beginning." - Haruki Murakami, Norwegian Wood
- Just when you think it cannot get any better, it does. We're engaged! - Anon
- One is loved because one is loved. No reason is needed for loving. - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- So, I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you. - Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
- In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you. - Jane Austen, Pride And Prejudice
- You are, and always have been, my dream. - Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- Where there is love, there is life. - Mahatma Gandhi
- Nobody has ever measured, not even poets, how much the heart can hold. - Zelda Fitzgerald
- Whatever our souls are made of, ours are the same. - (Adapted) Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights
23. Once upon a time, there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering. - Nicole Krauss, The History of Love
24. The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. And that's what you've given me. That's what I hope to give you forever - (Adapted) Nicholas Sparks
25. We love with a love that is more than love. - (Adapted) Edgar Allan Poe
26. Every heart sings a song, incomplete until another heart whispers back. Those who wish to sing always find a song. At the touch of a lover, everyone becomes a poet. - Plato
27. What was meant to be has found a way. - (Adapted) Trisha Yearwood
28. When the heart speaks, the mind finds it indecent to object. - Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being
29. Love is the longing for the half of ourselves we have lost. - Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being
30. If you can love someone with your whole heart, even one person, then there's salvation in life. - Haruki Murakami, 1Q84
A Note on Couples Therapy
The first flush of love is bound to pass, and in its place, you could find yourself burdened with sudden relationship issues. But that doesn't have to mean your relationship is over. For online couples or individual therapy, anytime and anywhere, consider connecting with a Regain therapist to recapture your first love.